Skip to main content
John M. E. Riedel

John M. E. Riedel

John M. E. Riedel 1865-1949

John M. E. Riedel, born December 2, 1865, in St. Louis, Missouri, to John and Margaret Riedel, was a diligent and hardworking student throughout his early life. These attributes were ingrained upon him by his father whose profession as a teacher led them to settle in Fort Wayne. John attended Concordia College, and following graduation, began an apprenticeship with the architecture firm of T.S. Tolan & Sons of Fort Wayne. He worked there for three years focusing on grasping the science and art of architecture. After his tenure with Tolan & Sons, he moved to the firm of H.W. Matson for another few years to master his skills before setting off on his own. His hard work and fortitude in his professionalism allowed him to establish his own firm in January 1889. In 1902, John married Helen M. Achard with whom he had a son, Carl.

John’s unqualified success and his skilled abilities led him to design and supervise many public and private buildings in Fort Wayne Indiana. In 1949, he passed away and was buried in Concordia Lutheran Cemetery in Fort Wayne, Indiana.


Notable Structures Designed by John M. E. Riedel

  1. The Trinity Lutheran Church edifice
  2. H.A. Duemling Clinic Bldg, South Wayne and Wildwood Ave, Fort Wayne, IN; c. 1920
  3. Centlivre Hotel-demolished
  4. Lyric Theatre-demolished
  5. 1014 S. Calhoun Street. Fort Wayne, IN 46802
  6. Strand Theatre-demolished Also known as the Empress Theatre served as a movie theater until 1926
  7. A. L. & Irene Riegel House, 620 Main St. Fort Wayne, IN; c. 1904
  8. St. Paul Lutheran School, 1225 S. Barr St, Fort Wayne, IN; c.1913
  9. Concordia Evangelical Lutheran School, 1820 Alliger St. Fort Wayne, IN
  10. Harry A. Keplinger House, 235 W. Creighton Ave, Fort Wayne, IN;  c. 1893

Do you live in or know of a historic John M. E. Riedel house or building? Let us know. Send us your photo

Further Reading

  1. Griswold, B. J. Pictorial History of Fort Wayne, Indiana ; a Review of Two Centuries of Occupation of the Region about the Head of the Maumee River ; Also the Story of the Townships of Allen County by Mrs. Samuel R. Taylor. Volume 2 Chicago, 1917. 471-472
  5. Group, Books. American Architect and Architecture Volume 75. S.l.: Rarebooksclub, 2012. 53