Address: 836 East Jefferson Boulevard
Architect: unknown, but the builder was Henry Wehrenberg & Sons
Style: Gothic Revival/Tudor Revival
Current owner: Turner Chapel AME Church
- Pointed-arch windows
- Towers with crenellated parapets
- Flattened pointed arches in door surrounds
Reasons to cherish this place:
You might look at this 1927 building and just think “church” and stop there because its style is very “churchy.” It’s important to keep going and
think about the rest of its story.
This church’s roots go back to its founding in 1849, and it is the oldest Black congregation in Fort Wayne.
It is significant as a notable example of Gothic Revival church architecture with Tudor Revival influences, and it also is associated with efforts to desegregate Fort Wayne’s public elementary schools. For a
short time in September 1969, it was a Freedom School site for students who had boycotted the city’s elementary schools over racial imbalance.
The building was built by the Calvary United Brethren congregation which had its home there until 1965 when Turner Chapel AME Church
bought it and began using it as its home.