The first church was built on this site in 1849 by the German-speaking members of the Catholic community and was dedicated to St. Mary. This early church was replaced in 1858 with a Gothic-style building which was destroyed by a boiler explosion in 1886. This church was destroyed by fire from a lightning strike in 1993. The current structure was erected in 1998.