The first African Methodist Episcopal (AME) congregation in Fort Wayne was formed in 1845. A church was established in 1869 on this site and named the Turner AME Chapel in honor of the Rev. Henry McNeil Turner, a black chaplain during the Civil War. In 1888, a new church building was erected, and in 1917 the present building was built. In 1963, the congregation moved to its East Jefferson Blvd. site.