Marshall S. Mahurin was a very successful local Architect who was a part of two very prolific architecture firms. Mahurin was born in Indiana in 1857. On October 2nd1888 he married his wife Cora A. Diggins, and they had three children together. Marshall was active in the community within the Shriners organization and was elected the New Potentate of the Mizpah Shrine. His nephew Guy Mahurin would later become his partner at the firm of Mahurin & Mahurin, his first partnership would be with John F. Wing at Wing & Mahurin.
The partnership of Wing & Mahurin was one of the most successful local architecture firms of the late 19th and early 20th century, designing dozens of commercial buildings, public works buildings, and residential housing. By 1907, the partnership between the two had come to an end, Mahurin leaving John Wing to form a new partnership with his nephew Guy Mahurin. Guy had been a draftsman and minor partner of Wing & Mahurin.
A vast number of the structures designed by Marshall and his partners over the years are now listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Marshall S. Mahurin 1857-1939
“The ethics of the American Institute of Architects seek to promote the aesthetic, scientific and practical efficiency of the profession and to make the profession of ever-increasing service to society”
A quote from Marshall Mahurin in an article detailing his opinion about honest architecture and how he felt it was his duty of architect to embody the best professionalism and design better and safer structures to further architecture advancements. Mahurin believed that architects should strive for safety and efficiency which combine beautiful aesthetics and strong, sound structures.
Notable Structures Designed by Marshall S. Mahurin, and his collaborations with John F. Wing and Guy Mahurin
- Beech Grove Cemetery, 1400 W. Kilgore Ave. Muncie, Indiana
- Allen County Orphans’ Home, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Hon. R. C. Bell Residence, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Dr. D. S. Brown Residence, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Central Fire Station, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Greenfield High School, Greenfield, Indiana
- Indiana State School for Feeble-Minded Children, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- The McDonald & Taylor Fire-Proof Building, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- US Post Office and Courthouse, 1300 W. Harrison St., Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Mordhurst Oriental Drug Store Building, 812 S. Calhoun St; c 1886
- J.C. Peltier House, 435 E. Berry St; c. 1886
- Fort Wayne City Hall, Fort Wayne, Indiana c.1893
- The Fort Wayne Saengerbund Building, 1896, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Marshall S. Mahuin Residence, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Engine House No. 3, 1900, 226 W. Washington Blvd., Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Saint Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1126 S. Barr St., Fort Wayne, Indiana; c. 1900
- John H. Bass Mansion, Fort Wayne, Indiana. NRHP-listed; c. 1902
- B. Paul Mossman House, 1202 W. Wayne St; c. 1905
Further Reading and Citation
- Ohio Architect and Builder, Volume 27. Place of Publication Not Identified: Nabu Press, 2012.
Do you live in or know of a historic Marshall S. Mahurin house or building? Let us know. Send us your photo firstname.lastname@example.org