Guy M. Mahurin was an American architect and nephew of the well-known architect, Marshall Stimson Mahurin. He was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana August 14th, 1877 to Melville B. and Alice Mahurin. His father was a merchant and manufacturer and because of his job the Mahurin’s moved to several cities throughout Guy’s childhood including Columbus, Ohio and Indianapolis, Indiana. Guy graduated from Short Ridge High School in Indianapolis and proceeded to attend the University of Illinois to study architecture until his studies were interrupted for an opportunity to work as the Chief Draftsmen of the United States Bureau of Architecture in the Philippines Island.
Guy Mahurin married his wife Myrtle Walker on October 17th, 1911 in Benton Harbor, Michigan. They would go on to have two children, Margaret Ann and Walker Melville. Their family formerly resided at 2537 Maple Place c. 1919, and then later 927 West Wildwood Avenue Fort Wayne, Indiana.
In 1903 Mahurin went to the Philippines for two years. In 1904 he won the prize for best design concept at the World’s Fair in St. Louis for the Philippine building he exhibited and received a gold medal and a $1000 cash prize for it. Mahurin’s design had also been the first time Americans were exposed to the Philippines since it was a newly acquired territory to the United States. While in the Philippines he designed and built within the capital Manila. Upon his return home, he took a 6-month journey in which he studied architecture throughout Japan and China. Guy then toured cities all over Europe to study their architecture. When he returned to the United States and worked for Wing & Mahurin, Marshall Mahurin was his uncle, and he worked for him as a draftsman.
In 1907 when the partnership of Wing & Mahurin dissolved, Guy and his uncle Marshall formed a new partnership called Mahurin & Mahurin. Both architectural firms were considered among the best in Fort Wayne, Indiana in the early twentieth century. Mahurin & Mahurin was a short-lived partnership and only lasted from 1907 until 1918 when the two decided to end their professional relationship. Each moved forward as independent architects and engineering consultants. Marshall retained his former offices, while Guy moved into his new offices at 519 Lincoln Life Building. He continued his own firm until his death, working in various collaborations with other architects. His work can be seen all over Northern Indiana.
Guy M. Mahurin was very active in public life during his lifetime. He had been a captain of Company C, of the Indiana National Guard from 1916-1917. He was also the Assistant Chief of the Requisition Division of the United States Housing Corporation in Washington D.C. Also a philanthropist, Mahurin helped to raise funds for the YMCA in 1916 and in 1925 for the enlargement of the building project. He also volunteered and raised funds for the Red Cross, The Catholic Community Carter Building Fund, Day Nursery, Pixley Relief Home, and for local hospitals. In addition, Mahurin was also a Captain in the Shriner organization, as well in 1934 elected the 2nd Vice President of Fort Wayne for the Indiana Society of Architects.